"Neues aus der N.Y. Times" oder "Dichtung und Wahrheit"

• Thomas Kirchner (Süddeutsche Zeitung): Protokoll eines vorsätzlichen Krieges

Bezug ist ein Artikel von Mark Danner, der morgen im N.Y. Times Review of Books erscheinen wird: The Secret Way to War

Danner zitiert darin einen äußerst bemerkenswerten Artikel von Pulitzer-Preisträger Ron Suskind aus der N.Y. Times vom 17.10.2004: Without a Doubt (Mirror bei TruthOut.org)

Zwei Zitate aus besagtem Artikel:

Zitat

"Just in the past few months," Bruce Bartlett, a domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan and a treasury official for the first President Bush, told me recently that "if Bush wins, there will be a civil war in the Republican Party starting on Nov. 3." The nature of that conflict, as Bartlett sees it? Essentially, the same as the one raging across much of the world: a battle between modernists and fundamentalists, pragmatists and true believers, reason and religion.
    Bartlett said, "I think a light has gone off for people who've spent time up close to Bush: that this instinct he's always talking about is this sort of weird, Messianic idea of what he thinks God has told him to do." Bartlett, a 53-year-old columnist and self-described libertarian Republican who has lately been a champion for traditional Republicans concerned about Bush's governance, went on to say: "This is why George W. Bush is so clear-eyed about Al Qaeda and the Islamic fundamentalist enemy. He believes you have to kill them all. They can't be persuaded, that they're extremists, driven by a dark vision. He understands them, because he's just like them.
    "This is why he dispenses with people who confront him with inconvenient facts," Bartlett went on to say. "He truly believes he's on a mission from God. Absolute faith like that overwhelms a need for analysis. The whole thing about faith is to believe things for which there is no empirical evidence."

Zitat

In the summer of 2002, after I had written an article in Esquire that the White House didn't like about Bush's former communications director, Karen Hughes, I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend - but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.
    The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality - judiciously, as you will - we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

• Zitat

Original von Iris
    he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality.

Muß von euch noch jemand an die Szene aus Episode 3 denken, wo Palpatine unter dem Beifall der Senatoren das Imperium ausruft? :wow

• Tja, Vermutungen werden fast zur Gewißheit mit dem üblichen Unsicherhheitsfaktor "wer hat nun eigentlich recht".

Vielleicht wäre für eine Einstimmung auf die nahe Zukunft eine Leserunde mit Margret Atwoods "Die Magd" passend??

fragt sich Dyke

"Sie lesen?"
    "Seit der Grundschule, aber nur, wenn's keiner sieht."

Geoffrey Wigham in "London Calling" von Finn Tomson

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dyke ()